Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Economics Unfairness

My econ instructor emailed the class today and the more I think about it, the more ticked off I'm getting.

From the very begining of his class he's stressed very clearly that he does not give extensions for missed tests (this is an online class and he even plainly states if you like to procrastinate, you won't do well in his class). Well, I took note of the deadlines for the 4 tests plus the midterm and final and even though I've been taking these tests ON THE LAST DAY POSSIBLE, I haven't missed one and I'd be in a total panic if I had... I know I'm risking **something** by waiting until the end, massive illness, car accident... I don't know what it could be, but it could be something.

So we're just about at the eve of our last test, and he sends out his reminder email... "Several students have missed one test this semester and will receive their lowest test score as a substitute. The second missed test will receive a score of zero. This usually happens because of procrastination and affects your semester grade. I encourage you to take the test well in advance of the deadline."

Well, how how fair is that? NOW if you miss a test, your lowest grade will substitute in for that ZERO you earned. This is not how he explained how things would go down for us at the beginning. I think people who missed a test deserve their zero... what if I choose to miss this next test coming up? I'll get an 82 on it for a whole lot less effort. and what if I score less than an 82 on this test? You can BET a million dollars that I will raise this issue with my instructor about subbing that 78 I theoretically earned with my previous lowest test score, the 82.

I would seriously consider following up on skipping this last test, but questions for the final will in part be drawn directly from this test... I definitely want to HAVE this test to study from, and if I don't take the test, I'm not certain I will have access to it afterwards. I hope this makes sense.

And please, tell me with comments below how fair you think this change in policy is. I think it's ridiculous and unfair to student who take tests seriously!

No comments: