Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tax Day Tuesday

Yee-haw, a Tuesday. This day has been a bit rough for me. I was up late last night, up at the normal time... and I was reading health advice... 6.5 hours of sleep is what should be considered the minimum. I may have just gotten that amount.

Get the kids off to school and now is the time to get serious about final practice for my speech. I'm writing out my main points onto notecards when I laugh at myself, CLASS starts in about 1 hour and I'm doing this now?? jeeze... generally I'm not that kind of student.

As I'm driving to school, I realize that I left my wallet at home and that I forgot to brush my teeth. Well, as much as it sucks to have no money, no id and no means of getting money... I was more concerned about not having brushed my teeth. It was group speech day and I thought it was very likely that I would be face-to-face with my group members and I DID NOT need to knock them over with my breath! Luckily I've done this before, and I have travel toothpaste and a tooth brush in my van. and I had an empty cup in which to spit and some water to rinse with. Good. I did this in the parking lot at school. I'm so cool, I noticed that there was someone in their vehicle to my right, so I made sure I did this while looking out to the left.

Well, I get out of the van, backpack over one shoulder and I take about two steps, I stepped on a rough seam of the pavement, my ankle twists and I fall. I fall HARD. Onto my knees and hands. OUCH! I'm totally amazed I did not tear my tights. Wouldn't that have looked great while giving a speech? Torn tights and white-ass bare knees! Well, that didn't happen. I recovered ok... but yes, the contact points have been sore all day, my wrists are sore, my neck is sore and I've had a headache all day. Is it possible to get a form of whiplash from falling like that? I'm certain my head was jerked when I fell so fast. Ugh.


My speech went well. My group was the first to go. Everyone looked over the outline and they were pleased. As we're getting up there, Heidi says "I'm setting the timer for 15 minutes" WTF? She harped on us about 3-4 minutes per person. That does not equal 15 minutes!!! WTF! Quanda was great and she really stretched her part. She later said she can't help herself, that's just the way she is... but man! She totally saved us on our time. We were still under time, hell, none of the other groups hit the minimum either - BECAUSE THIS SHIT INCONSISTENT INSTRUCTOR OF OURS told us 3 minutes per person was minimum. And today she insisted that it was 15-20 minutes.... good fuckin' lord. I will be so glad her class is over, she's so inconsistent and rather bitchy. You can not tell her what she did or didn't say... SHE knows best. Yeah right, she's totally guilty of not being able to keep her classes straight, and I don't totally blame her, I think she has 7 sections of the same class. yuck, not my idea of enjoyable teaching.

This has gotten too long. Not any great insight into being a student... I have a headache and while I've been writing this I've had both kids complain to me about 20 different issues that are really close to meaningless. I'm actually sitting out in the living room with my laptop, in the same room as the kids... I shouldn't allow myself to be such a target - by being available. What a lousy mother I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that comment on paragraph 3, very descriptive, specially while trying to eat my arepa lol : ) But good job on the speech!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Above comment is Sergio by the way : )